Shimoga Institute of Medical Sciences started during 2005 in 25 acers of land, in the premises of Government Mc.Gann Hospital at Shimoga. The Institute located in Bangalore - Honnavara National high-way 206, The total floor area available, including college, Boys & Girls hostel, doctors quarters, about 34488 square meter. The teaching hospital of the medical college, The Government Mc.Gann Hospital constructed by British Administrator during 1880 in 70 acers. During 1991-92 the new general hospital block with 367 beds capacity has been constructed, The floor area of the Government Mc.Gann Hospital available is 31340 sq.meters. The institute is fully equipped aboratories, Museums, Examination Hall, Auditorium, Lecture Halls, Library Gymnasium, Staff and The Teaching Faculty.
The Governing body of the Institute is the Governing Council, The overall management of the Institute shall vest in the Director, Appointed by the state Government subject to such terms and conditions as are specified in the order of appointment. The director is supported in the administration of the college, by principal, Medical superintended, chief Administrative officer, financial Adviser, Administrative officer, Heads of the department and other members of the medical faculty. The principal will look after the academic work and function under the guidance of the director. The medical superintendent will be incharge of the hospital and discharge the functions in maintenance of the hospitals under the guidance of the director. Chief Administrative Officer to be drown on deputation from among K.A.S. (Senior scale officers) are any officer not below the rank of deputy secretary to Government, Who shall be incharge of the administration, Financial Adviser to be drown on deputation from state accounts department not below the rank of Joint controller or from the officer of accountant general, not below the rank of Account/audit officer, Who Shall be incharge of accounts. Administrative officer to be drown on deputation from government not below the rank of Thahashildar or section officer of state government. Heads of Department and professors, Asso. Professors, Asst. Professors, Sr.Residents, Jr.Residents/Tutors and other members of the medical faculty.
The Objects of the Institute are:-
1. To promote, establish, Maintain and develop a Medical college with a view to provide comprehensive relief and treatment and advanced care to citizens and to encourage and promote research and training in human ailments.
2. To evolve, organise and supervise, programes, to detect health problems, educate the public, regarding the control of various diseases which are prevalent in the country.
3. To support, organise and encourage, clinical and basic research progrmes, relating to the diagnosis and treatment of human ailments.
4. To organise teaching and training of Medical undergraduates and postgraduates in the science of diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation and research in human ailments, with stress on preventive aspects of such diseases in the community.
5. To proved for undergraduate & postgraduate teaching and to prescribe courses and auricular in Medicine and surgery.
6. To Maintain books, Journals and other lectures on human diseases.
7. To support, Organise and encourage scientific meetings, seminars, symposia and work sheets etc.,
ENQUIRY AND INFORMATION ABOUT SIMS
Apart from this, SIMS has health services at the Urban Family Welfare center at Kote, Shimoga and Primary health centers at Ayanur, Mathur & Holalur.