Government of Karnataka Web Portal
Government of india
Skip navigation links
Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute
About Us
Brief History
General Information
hospital
Casualty and Emergency Services
Departments and Cenetrs
Indoor Services
Out Patient Department
Library and Informations
Responsibility of Users
bowringhospital
Victoria Hospital
Vanivilas Hospital
SDS TB and Chest Diseases Hospital
Minto Ophthalmic Hospital
Citizen Charter
Complaints and Grievances
Contact Us
Tenders & Notifications
SDS TB and Chest Diseases Hospital


SDS TUBERCULOSIS AND RAJIV GANDHI INSTITUTE OF CHEST DISEASES is a 470 bedded Major Teaching Hospital  and a part of the combined Hospital attached to Bangalore Medical College & Research Institute, Bangalore imparting Teaching and Training Programmes for the Under-Graduates, Post-Graduates and Super Specialty Courses formulated as per the University Curriculum and M.C.I norms. 
This is a Super Specialty State referral hospital for Thoracic Surgery, Tuberculosis and Chest Diseases attached to Bangalore Medical College & Research Institute, Bangalore under Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Karnataka, it is a Teaching Hospital, comprising two major department viz.,
            1. Department of Tuberculosis and Chest Diseases.
            2. Department of Cardio Thoracic Surgery. 


History of the Hospital

The hospital in the earlier days was established in a airy campus having a small Hospital situated in the outskirts of the city on Magadi Road, where Tuberculosis patients were admitted and treated.  To cater the need of the Tuberculosis patients, The Then Maharaja of Mysore accorded sanction for the establishment of Tuberculosis Sanatorium during 1944 and allotted the vast land at Byrasandra and Siddapur villages of Uttarhalli Hobli of Bangalore South Taluk.
At that time, Late Sri Devarao Shivaram, a Business Magnet of Bangalore City came forward to pay
Rs.1,00,000.00 as donation for the construction of Hospital in the name of his beloved wife Smt.Shanthabai. Soon after the Government’s decision for the establishment of Tuberculosis Sanatorium Building with a view that enough fresh air and sunlight might penetrate every corner of the Building.
The foundation stone was laid by the then Maharaja of Mysore Sri Jayachamarajendra Wodeyar on 11th December 1944. The Hospital construction was completed within a span of four years at a cost of Rs.3, 50,000=00 and the same was declared open to the General Public by the then Maharaja of Mysore Sri.Jayachamrajendra Wodyer on 30th January 1948 with a bed capacity of 50.  This Hospital was named as Smt.Shanthabai Devarao Shivaram Tuberculosis Sanatorium.
During 1957 this hospital was attached to Bangalore Medical College & Research Institute, Bangalore as a Teaching Hospital to impart training to Under-Graduate and Post-Graduate students in the Department of Tuberculosis and Chest Diseases and Department of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery.
Later with the addition of these Departments this hospital was named as SDS TUBERCULOSIS AND CHEST DISEASES HOSPITAL. At present, with the commissioning of New Building and to provide maximum facilities to the patients of Tuberculosis and Chest Diseases. The Government has renamed it as SDS Tuberculosis and Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Chest Diseases. 

History of the Hospital
 
The hospital in the earlier days was established in a airy campus having a small Hospital situated in the outskirts of the city on Magadi Road, where Tuberculosis patients were admitted and treated.  To cater the need of the Tuberculosis patients, The Then Maharaja of Mysore accorded sanction for the establishment of Tuberculosis Sanatorium during 1944 and allotted the vast land at Byrasandra and Siddapur villages of Uttarhalli Hobli of Bangalore South Taluk.
At that time, Late Sri Devarao Shivaram, a Business Magnet of Bangalore City came forward to pay Rs.1, 00,000=00 as donation for the construction of Hospital in the name of his beloved wife Smt.Shanthabai.  Soon after the Government’s decision for the establishment of Tuberculosis Sanatorium Building with a view that enough fresh air and sunlight might penetrate every corner of the Building.
The foundation stone was laid by the then Maharaja of Mysore Sri Jayachamarajendra Wodeyar on 11th December 1944. The Hospital construction was completed within a span of four years at a cost of Rs.3, 50,000=00 and the same was declared open to the General Public by the then Maharaja of Mysore Sri.Jayachamrajendra Wodyer on 30th January 1948 with a bed capacity of 50.  This Hospital was named as Smt.Shanthabai Devarao Shivaram Tuberculosis Sanatorium.
During 1957 this hospital was attached to Bangalore Medical College & Research Institute, Bangalore as a Teaching Hospital to impart training to Under-Graduate and Post-Graduate students in the Department of Tuberculosis and Chest Diseases and Department of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery.

Later with the addition of these Departments this hospital was named as     SDS TUBERCULOSIS AND CHEST DISEASES HOSPITAL. At present, with the commissioning of New Building and to provide maximum facilities to the patients of Tuberculosis and Chest Diseases. The Government has renamed it as SDS Tuberculosis and Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Chest Diseases.

Centre for E-Governance, (a society working as a nodal agency for implementing E-governance initiatives). ©2011, All Rights Reserved. Last Updated : 26/03/2013
DISCLAIMER : Please note that this page also provides links to the websites / web pages of Government Ministries / Departments / Organisations.
The content of these websites are owned by the respective organisations and they may be contacted for any further information or suggestion.
Help | Terms & Conditions | Copyright Policy | Hyperlinking Policy | Privacy Policy